« Jury finds defrocked priest guilty of repeatedly molesting parishioner | Main | ‘Victory,’ vindication: Former priest convicted in landmark abuse case »

February 08, 2005

Two scout leaders jailed for seven years

February 8, 2005

New Zealand - One of two scout leaders jailed for seven years today for child sex abuse, had more than 60,000 still images and movies of child porn, a court heard today.

Andrew John Pybus, 32, and Nigel Richard Fenemor, 48, were both jailed for seven years in the High Court at Auckland today. They were told they would serve a minimum non-parole period of three and a half years because the child sex abuse they admitted was so serious.

Pybus admitted representative charges of sexually abusing two boys, one under 12 and one under 16. He also admitted making and importing pornographic material.

Justice Cooper said Pybus had 61,823 pornographic images and that indicated "a consuming, perverted preoccupation".

Fenemor admitted charges of sexual violation, including anal sex, and representative charges of indecently assaulting a boy under 16.

The court heard both men sexually abused the same victim.

Both were scout leaders and had a relationship of trust with their victims.

Pybus befriended his first victim, and his victim's parents allowed their son to go on outings with Pybus.

His second victim was a friend of the first and Pybus' relationship with him also began in the context of the scouting movement.

Pybus used a digital camera to take several hundred pictures of the abuse of both victims.

Fenemor's sexual abuse began with fondling, masturbation and progressed to anal sex.

Justice Cooper said he doubted either man fully appreciated the psychological harm they had done to their victims and their families.

Both men expressed remorse for their offending, their lawyers said.

The judge told Pybus his two victims had been traumatised and had lost their chance of a normal life as children growing through teen years to adulthood.

"They are confused, betrayed and badly affected," he said.

"Their pain causes further pain for their parents and family."

Justice Cooper said the pain was exacerbated by feelings of guilt as they asked themselves whether they were responsible in any way.

He said there was no violence but the offending could be described as cruel because of the psychological consequences.

The starting point for both men was 10 years in jail but that would be reduced to seven years each because of their early guilty pleas and other mitigating factors, he said.

Outside the court, Pybus' lawyer Marie Dyhrberg said she hoped the case would deter others.

"In this day and age it is very hard to escape that with this sort of offending people will get caught irrespective of where they come from."

She said the men had watched porn before some of the offending but she did not believe there was a definite link between watching porn and child abuse.

"One can be interested in pornography and not necessarily act it out. It may be more likely that if one is acting it out, then one is also attracted to pornography."

She said it was to Pybus' credit he admitted the offending early.

He had written a letter to the family with strong expressions of remorse and never once tried to blame anyone but himself.

She said Pybus was "devastated" by the victim impact reports and would have to live with how deep the harm had gone.

Detective Sergeant Lloyd Schmid said the victims were extremely upset and may carry the scars for the rest of their lives.

Posted by Nancy at February 8, 2005 12:33 AM